Safeguarding U18s in open age football
Safeguarding is everyone's responsibilty
Cornwall FA is aware that there are many 16 and 17 year old players playing in Open Aged Football. This is a fantastic opportunity for these young players to progress and be challenged both technically and physically, however officials, managers and players must also recognise that these young players are still minors. There are many ways that a club can ensure these young players are still enjoying their football, whilst playing their football in a safe environment an in accordance with the FA Safeguarding Policies and Procedures.
Mandatory Safeguarding Requirements for clubs with 16/17 year old players
All Open Aged Clubs should look to recruit a Club Welfare Officer before the 2023/24 season. The individual will be required to undertake an FA DBS check and they will need to complete the free Safeguarding for Committee Members Course
Take the Safeguarding For Committee Members Course
The FA are also currently working on a new course for the 2023/24 season called Player Welfare Course which will be a requirement for Welfare Officers from the 2023/24 season onwards.
Mandatory Requirements for this season:
- All managers/coach/physios/First Aider are named against the team on the Whole Game System.
- All managers/coach/physios/First Aider obtain an FA DBS check. (Your league may be able to help cover the cost of a DBS (£10) so please contact them about any available funding)
- Ensure that all 16/17 year old players are given the ‘Understand your rights leaflet’
- Report all safeguarding incidents or concerns to your club or County Welfare Officer.
Club Best Practice
- Encourage your manager/coach and physio to complete the free online Safeguarding for All course via England Learning.
- Adopt the Safeguarding Policy within your Club.
- Safeguard your young players during matches/training sessions; ensure your manager and other players on the team understand that they are still minors. Click here for more information.
- Speak to the referee prior to all games and inform them that you have U18 year old players.
If you require any support on completing a DBS application please contact Cornwall FA Designated Safeguarding Officer, Claire Summers-Evans via email@example.com