Cornwall FA U18's v Norfolk 27.10.18 (1)

Extra Time Heartbreak for Cornwall in Cup Thriller

Cornwall 3 – 4 Norfolk AET

Played at Helston on Saturday 27th October 2018

After trailing 2-0 at half time Cornwall stormed back in the 2nd half to lead 3-2 before a 94th minute penalty and then an Extra Time winner for Norfolk denied them victory in a hard fought match in The FA County Youth Cup 2nd Round.

The FA County Youth Cup holders came into the game in confident mood and started on the front foot, they were probing and pressing taking the lead after just 7 minutes. The ball found its way to the left wing and a delightful cross was headed in at the back post to give the visitors an early lead. Rocked by the fast start Cornwall were very much on the back foot and soon found themselves 2 goals down, this time a corner from the left was whipped in and scrambled home at the front post. 

Cornwall were struggling to find any rhythm, however still had a threat on the break through the pace of winger Wharton and Cornish, just as it seemed they had weathered the storm without any further damage, trying to play out from the back gave away a penalty after as Norfolk player intercepted a pass and broke through, a 3rd at this point may have killed off the game but the spot kick was dragged wide. This miss gave Cornwall some impetus and from that point on the home side got on the front foot, Mawgan Kewn and Kai Cornish both going close before the break, Norfolk however held firm and saw the half out with 2-0 lead. 

Whatever was said at half-time had the desired effect and within 90 seconds of the re-start Cornwall pulled a goal back, Cornwall skipper Josh Storey strode through from centre half and clipped a delightful ball into the area behind the Norfolk defence. Making a lung busting run from central midfield was Ben O’Connor, he stretched and got a good connection on the ball and fired it into the bottom corner, a just reward for the industrious midfielder, who was tireless all game. It was roles reversed from the first half and Cornwall had the wind in their sails with Norfolk now on the back foot, and just like the first half a second goal wasn’t far away. A corner from the right wing was clipped in, skipper Storey rose highest and powered a header into the back of the net, a fabulous finish. 

In another strange mirroring of the first half Cornwall then won a penalty, a handball in the box following a scramble gave George Tucker the chance to give Cornwall the lead, a chance that was take as Tucker fired home. With the game stretched both sides looked to attack, however clear cut chances were at a premium, just as it looked Cornwall would see the game out another break from Norfolk saw their right winger clipped in the box for the 3rd Penalty of the game, this time there was no mistake and Norfolk scored their 94th minute equaliser.

And so to Extra time, with both teams having exerted so much energy the first half went by without much of note, however at the start of the 2nd period of extra time the winning goal was to come, Norfolk had a free kick on the edge of the box, this was fired straight into the wall, however it looped up into the box and after a couple of breaks fell to the Norfolk midfielder who fired home. Try as they may Cornwall could not muster another comeback and after a pulsating 120 minutes it was Norfolk who took their place in the 3rd Round of this year’s competition. 

Cornwall Team – Ethan Elwell, Michael Barton, Joe Mcillroy, Ben O’Connor, Harrison Jewell, Josh Storey (Captain), Kai Cornish, Lewis Tonkin, Mawgan Kewn, Jack Hooper, Alex Wharton

Subs Used – George Tucker (Kewn), Jackson Penhallurick (Wharton), Jamie Simmonds (Mcillroy) Mason Long (Jewell) – Subs Not used – Kieran Daughtery, Sam Pickup, Yeshe Briar