Callington Town win the Charity Cup

Callington win the Charity Cup Final season 2013/2014.

The Charity Cup Final

The Durning Lawrence Charity Cup Competition, open to invited Cornish Clubs playing in the Cornwall Combination; East Cornwall and South West Peninsula (West Division) Leagues,  saw this season’s Final being played last evening at the Kimberley Stadium, home of Saltash United FC.

Despite the chilly wind blowing down the ground, a good-sized crowd, in the region of 200, witnessed a highly entertaining encounter between Callington Town and Dobwalls.  Coming into the game Callington, current Peninsula West League leaders, would have been very slight favourites to win the trophy.

The first half an hour of the game was very “cat and mouse” like, with both sides creating a number of half chances without really testing the Opposition’s goal.  However, in the fifteen minutes leading up to half-time, the game came to light.  The first real chance fell to Callington striker Sam Stevens but his free header from inside the six yard box was saved by Josh Gilbert in the Dobwalls goal.  Almost immediately, play switched to the other end and following a mistake by Callington’s Adam Casey, the ball fell to Martin Hake who then pulled the ball back into the goalmouth but there were no team mates following up to shoot into an empty goal.  Callington’s Kirk Smith had been creating problems throughout the half for the Dobwalls defence and it was from another of his crosses, ten minutes from the interval, that Luke Avis-Riordan shot high and wide of the goal.  Half-time arrived without any further problems for either defence.

During the interval, Cornwall County FA Chairman Geoff Lee made the Association’s customary donation to charity, with this season’s recipient being the RNLI.

The second half started in similar fashion to the first, with play switching from one end to the other.  Five minutes into the half, Dobwall’s Dan Lawrence had the ball in the net but the whistle had already been blown for a foul on Callington goalkeeper Sam Borthwick.  Callington took control of the game for a period, during which time there were a number of goalmouth scrambles with the outstanding Dobwalls goalkeeper Gilbert making a number of superb saves to keep his goal intact.  The hour mark arrived and the game became an even contest again and it was surprising that the first offside of the game did not arrive until the 65th minute.  The best chance of the game, so far, arrived in the 77th minute when, faced with only goalkeeper Borthwick to beat, Lawrence scuffed his shot and Dobwall’s opportunity to take the lead was lost.  The remainder of the half continued at a high pace and in the first minute of time added on,  Dobwalls thought they had taken the lead when Harry Hook let fly from 25 yards and with Borthwick watching helplessly, his shot crashed against the crossbar and bounced away to safety.

Extra time duly arrived, with the first period continuing in similar vein to the previous 90 minutes.  The second period was heading the same way, with a penalty shootout looming large.  However, with two minutes remaining on the Referee’s watch, Callington’s Carlton Farnham took on the Dobwalls defence.  His first shot was blocked by a defender but the rebound fell kindly for him and his left-footed shot evaded Gilbert’s despairing dive and found its way into the top corner of the net.  Dobwalls piled forward in search of the equaliser but with so little time left in the contest, their efforts were to no avail.

All in all, a very even game of football played by two highly committed sides, in a sporting manner, which was a credit to the two Clubs.


Sam Borthwick; Chris Lock; Gary Williams; Adam Casey; Ben Langton; Fergus Nevin (Capt); Mike Lucas; Kirk Smith; Sam Stevens; Carlton Farnham and Luke Avis-Riordan.  SUBS – Liam Dart; Ben Waters; Dennis Mason; James Yates and Lee Beer.


Josh Gilbert; Shaun Corbin; Jack Bartlett; Sam Hill; Adam Hill; Shaun Bonney; Dan Lawrence; Steve Tapper (Capt); Harry Hook; Martin Hake and Matt Hawse.  SUBS – Simon Skews; Shaun Jones; Jed Smale; Dan Gilbert and Nick Cotton.


Referee – Kevin Knowles

Assistant Referees -  Neil Rudkin and Graham Rugg

Fourth Official – Steve Nute


Congratulations to Callington Town FC on winning the Charity Cup. Cornwall FA would like to thank Saltash United FC for hosting the Final and providing excellent facilities and hospitality. We hope everyone had an enjoyable evening.

The County Chairman

Geoff Lee the County Chairman, wrote a message for the Durning Lawrence Final.

It is my great pleasure on behalf of the Cornwall County FA to welcome everyone to Kimberley Stadium, the home of Saltash Utd, for this evening’s Cornwall Charity Cup Final between Callington Town and Dobwalls.

This match serves as the traditional finale’ in the County’s calendar of activities and brings to an end another very busy season. It is fitting that the game should be staged on one of the county’s premier grounds with an excellent surface and for that we offer our  thanks to Saltash for allowing us the use of their excellent facilities that I am sure is appreciated by both teams and will hopefully provide us with an entertaining match.

This competition is restricted to Cornish Clubs in Step 7 Clubs of the National League system but it has nevertheless again been keenly contested by the 16 teams invited to take part by the CCFA. Tonight’s final sees two teams that have enjoyed a successful season in the S.W Peninsula League Division 1 West particularly for Callington Town who are on course for promotion to the Peninsula Premier Division. They will also be hoping to win the cup for the second time in four seasons having won the competition in 2011.

It is appropriate at this Charity Cup Final to use the half time break for the County FA to make a donation to charity. This year the CCFA Council voted to donate to the Royal National Lifeboat Institution so important around our coastline. Representatives from that charity will be present tonight to receive a cheque on the pitch at half time for £500.

I could not let this opportunity pass without taking some space in my notes to thank the staff at the County FA Headquarters in Bodmin led by Dawn Aberdeen. As usual this season has brought with it challenges for the game in Cornwall particularly the wet winter period which has resulted in teams having to play many fixtures in a short space of time in order to complete their fixtures. Our staff at Bodmin have worked hard in arranging all our semi finals and finals and once these are completed work begins immediately on preparing for next season. I hope their efforts are rewarded by an excellent final this evening played in a true Charity Cup style with our programme of Respect, with all that brings, high on the agenda of teams, match officials and spectators.

Finally at this time of the season can I also take this opportunity, to offer my sincere thanks to all those who have been involved in Cornish football this season whether as a player, match official, team or club official or an interested spectator. The CCFA is extremely grateful for the contribution you make and hope that we can count on your support again next season.

Enjoy the game
Geoff Lee
County Chairman

What do you think?